Saturday, April 04, 2009

Baseball Predictions '09

I can't believe how soon Opening Day will be a reality. As always, it is with great anticipation that I welcome the start of the season, although I'll admit I have no real feel or strong convictions about which teams are poised to do well. Based on the talent on paper one could make a case that the Mets and the Yankees could meet in the Series. As a fan of two wretched local teams, I'd like to see both the Nats and the O's be the '09 version of the '08 Tampa Bay team that went worst to first, but to be honest I doubt that either scenario is likely. For me, this year is a real crap shoot. Both local squads should improve on their dismal performance from last year, with the O's having a chance to be the most improved team in the American League -- that's not to say they won't finish fourth in the division.

With that said, I'm going to go against conventional wisdom, which has the Yanks, Red Sox and Rays battling for the Al East crown, and pick the O's to shock everyone and take the division. More than likely, the O's don't have enough pitching and are a couple years from contending, but stranger things have happened. The Red Sox will still make the post season as a wild-card, while the Yanks will, for all their talent on paper closely resemble the '08 Tigers. As for the AL Central, the Twins would won the crown last year if the one-game playoff had been in the Metrodome and this year appear to be the least flawed team in a weak division. In the AL West, the A's remain the pick of the pundits, but I'm hard pressed to pick against A's general manager Billy Beane -- who after years of being frugal, has assembled a team to "win now". Matt Holliday will earn a MVP while chasing next year's big paycheck and the A's this year will reap the rewards. On paper, I'll admit the A's pitching seems awfully young.

In the National League East, while it appears to be a two-horse race between the Mets and Phillies, I'm picking the Braves to eek it out against the Marlins. The Braves have the deepest pitching(a formula that has worked for them in the past) in the division and the young Marlins with my choice for NL MVP Hanley Ramirez could surprise like last year's Rays. In the NL Central, the Cubs are the odds on favorites and I can't make a case against it. Although, it always pains me to pick against La Russa's Cards and the third winningest manager in MLB history. In the NL West, I think the Dodgers may have to settle for a wild-card even after resigning Manny because along with the Braves, The Diamondbacks might have the best pitching in the National League.

So, to recap -- in the AL: O's, Twins and A's. In the NL: Braves, Cubs and Diamondbacks. Wild-cards going to the Red Sox(AL) and Dodgers(NL). MVPs to Matt Holliday(AL) and Hanley Ramirez(NL). Cy Young Awards to Felix Hernandez(AL) and Jake Peavy(NL) -- oddly, both are on what I predict to be last place teams in the Western divisions.

Finally(drum roll please), The A's over the Cubs in the World Series.

For my Dad, a lifelong Yankees fan...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home