Chu's Cafe: An Institution of Sorts...
On Friday, I was saddened to learn that Chu's Cafe in Georgetown was slated to close in early July. While the food at Chu's wasn't ever going to land it on any "best of" lists, if you wanted dirt cheap, home cooked Chinese food this was the place. While I must admit, that I only ever ate there, maybe a dozen times, my fondness for the place was much greater.
It's a bit of a mystery how Chu's went undiscovered by me while I had the bookshop, but the first time I ever enjoyed a meal there was the night Lily was born, I was actually there with my mother-in-law when Heather called to inform us that they(her doctors at Georgetown University Hospital) weren't going to wait any longer, and an emergency C-section was in the cards. It is the only time I can remember needing to take a cab to get from point to point within Georgetown(time was that short). Not surprisingly, Chu's would become my prime dining choice anytime one of the kids was born.
Yet, other than the occasion of a birth, I made it to Chu's quite infrequently, but that didn't stop the owners from making sure that I left with a red envelope when each baby was born. My money was also refused for what was almost certain to be my last meal there a couple of days ago. I will miss the place.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home