Another Letter to the Editor
This one appeared in today's Washington Post and was written by Sunil Freeman (I published his collection of poetry That Would Explain the Violinist in the mid-90's):
Selective Enforcement?
Monday, August 20, 2007; A14
The ANSWER Coalition has been fined $9,750 for putting up posters advertising a Sept. 15 antiwar march. The District government might say this is not selective prosecution, but I have never heard of such a fine being imposed on any politician, music promoter or retailer, all of whom routinely put posters across the city.
Doesn't the government have better things to do? The tradition of free speech, a hallmark of what the nation's capital has stood for, has been eviscerated in recent years. I'm one of many people who have distributed leaflets and put up posters to publicize the Sept. 15 antiwar march, and the government's response makes me want to post more.
SUNIL FREEMAN
Chevy Chase
Labels: politics


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home